About this Blog

My photo
My Name is Ryan Mathews and I am a follower of Christ. I am currently an Outfielder in the Oakland Athletics Organization. I grew up in Orlando, FL and played baseball at NC State.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Back on the Blog

Well it's been almost 5 months and a full fall semester since my last post on here. When I last posted it was actually on my birthday when I was baptized at the end of our summer mission trip with Athletes in Action. What an amazing experience that summer mission trip was for me. I was able to live and grow with a whole team of baseball players who not only had a love for the game but also a passion for knowing Jesus Christ. I know our whole team really enjoyed and connected with one another through our summer together in California and Alaska. We were living together, playing the game we loved, and also learning a little more everyday about our creator who loved us before we even knew who He was. At the end of the summer when we parted ways, most of us not only parted ways with a summer ball team but also the greatest spiritual high we had ever experienced. As soon as we landed back in the lower 48 we all were going back to our regular lives. This was something our head coach and discipleship leader had warned us about; the burst of our bubble. We had been living in close community for 2 months now and consistently and constantly growing spiritually. What would happen to this close bubble we had lived in as we entered our normal lives and went back to where we all started? Well I know for most of us it's been tough, going back to where you started can difficult. Especially if everyone around you isn't striving for the same goals and life track of following Christ that we all desired.

When I started back up at school at NC State in the fall I was given a great opportunity. Our FCAIA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Action) leaders Russ and Mary Throckmorton asked me to be a part of a team they had envisioned as being the FCAIA servant team. This team would be a leadership team designed to live in close community with each other, grow spiritually together, and then ultimately serve those around us with the love that Christ has shown each of us. I was extremely excited about the opportunity and looking back it was definitely the highlight of my semester.

I plan to continue writing on what God has been able to show me not only through my summer in Alaska but also through our FCAIA servant team at NC State.

No comments:

Post a Comment