About this Blog

My photo
My Name is Ryan Mathews and I am a follower of Christ. I am currently an Outfielder in the Oakland Athletics Organization. I grew up in Orlando, FL and played baseball at NC State.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why follow Jesus?

What would make someone want to devote their life to following Jesus? What makes following Jesus different from other religions like judaism, buddhism, atheism, agnosticism, or humanism? Depending on what you believe or where you stand this question can be very confrontational. I was actually asked this question by a good friend of mine over a year ago and I wasn't sure what the best answer really was. This summer I've learned a lot about why following Jesus is something more real than I could have ever imagined. One point that was brought up to me that I wanted to share was how the world actually views Jesus Christ. In Islam, Jesus is viewed as one of the most important prophets from Allah. Buddhism views Jesus as an enlightened teacher. Other religions view Jesus as merely a man but a great teacher and one of the most influential people in history. Here's the point that was brought up to me that made a lot of sense. When Jesus Christ lived, He openly and repeatedly claimed that He was God. If Jesus claimed He was actually God and the Son of man there are really only 3 options on how He could be viewed. 

1) The first option on how to view Jesus is that he is crazy or psychotic. If a man claimed to actually be God, the creator of the universe, most people would think he's crazy. 

2) The second option of how Jesus could be viewed is as a liar. If a man claims to be God himself in the flesh, I'm sure a lot of people would think he's obviously lying. 

3) The third option of how Jesus could be viewed if He claims to be God himself is  that He's actually right and truly the Son of God. 

It's really weird to me how so many religions or people think of Jesus in a positive light but don't believe He is the Son of God. Claiming to genuinely be God is a pretty bold proclamation. If He's not right about a claim as bold as being God himself, it makes sense he's either crazy or a liar. The other major religions and vast majority of people don't view him negatively though. This really made a lot of sense to me and showed me another reason why Jesus Christ is 100 percent true in everything He says. 

How do you personally view Jesus Christ? If He really was right and is the Son of God, shouldn't we at least read and learn what else He said? If He really was right and there is a God, shouldn't we figure out what He wants from us?
The good news is God wants what's best for you and wants you to be truly happy, and that comes through a relationship with Jesus Christ. God already loves you even if you don't know Him yet. 

If you want to learn more or even decide whether or not Jesus Christ is the Son of God, I challenge you to read the book of John. When I read and started to understand the book of John, it changed my life.

1 comment:

  1. More than a carpenter, all day. Jesus is Lord.

    ReplyDelete